Bioblitz on Otaniemi campus 8.9.
Arranged for the first time in Otaniemi, Bioblitz is a fun competition in teams that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a short period of time. The observations are photographed and gathered in iNaturalist mobile application, making the results also available for research purposes. The application also facilitates the identification of species by providing suggestions based on users’ photographs of the observed specimen.
In Otaniemi Bioblitz we want to map what species we have on Aalto campus. The idea is additionally to raise awareness on the importance of biodiversity and impacts of nature loss. The event is organized jointly with Aalto University Student Union (AYY) and Symbioosi ry, the organization of Helsinki university biology students.
The competition is open for all students and staff in Aalto University and biology students and staff in Helsinki university and there is an option for teams to adopt biology students / staff into their teams. We strongly encourage the participants to form interdisciplinary teams from 2 to 5 members, but the event is open to all kinds of combinations of people. Aftergame at AYY Otaranta Club Room.
When: On Thursday 8.9. 2022, 14-19 + afterparty
Where: Otaniemi campus area
Organisers: Aalto University / Meeri Karvinen and Hanna Paulomäki, AYY, Symbioosi ry
Collaborators: A! Co-Educator Team, ACRE/Campus Sustainability Team, Aalto Solutions for Sustainability
Further instructions and the final programme will be sent for registered participants after 1.9.
14:00 Gathering at A Grid (Otakaari 5) lecture hall A108b / A111a Mordor (left from the lobby)
• Welcome / opening of the event - Meeri Karvinen, Hanna Paulomäki
• Introduction to biodiversity - Symbioosi ry / biology students
• Biodiversity and development of the Otaniemi campus – Aapo Pihkala/ACRE
14:45 Instructions for the BioBlitz
• What is BioBlitz & how to use iNaturalist application during the competition – Hanna Paulomäki
• Instructions for the competition area and what happens after it – Meeri Karvinen
• Getting into teams
15:00 The game begins, competition time 3 hours
18:00 Gathering back at A Grid / Mordor
• Gathering for snacks while waiting for the results
• Announcing the winner & “award ceremony” – Meeri/Hanna/AYY/Symbioosi ry
19:00 -> Aftergame at Otaranta Club Room